Old 02-06-2002, 03:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rose56

Post TO move forward or to wait? That is the question!

Hello All. Well last night I came home from work and my daughter came to see me. I could tell that she was upset. WHen I asked what was wrong, she said Dad was being a jerk. Oh, I said. When I went into the kitchen I could tell what the problem was. He had been drinking. I confronted him with this and he deneyed it. I told him that I knew he had been drinking and he finally admitted it. Then I went to my spinning class at the Y. ANd kicked but by the way! So now I am left with another decision.
A little background. We have been married for almost 18yrs and he has been drinking the whole time. It has gotten worse over the years. About 5 years ago he got fired from a very good job because of his bad attitude not his drinking. Since then it has been down hill all the way. His life is going down the tubes and dragging me with him. Three weeks ago I asked him to leave and he did. WHen he came back he agreed to stop drinking and find a job.
So now I am faced with the decision to go through with the divorce and ask him to leave again. THis morning I was readling an alanon "Courage to Change". The message was to wait until you have been in Alann for 6 months before you make a major change. Is this my higher power speaking to me? Otherwise I feel like I should move forward with the separation and get started with my new life.
I do love my husband, but I don't want to mess around with this **** anymore. I do understand that he has a disease/problem. But I don't feel willing to keep trying so hard when he is still drinking.
Your thoughts and comments are welcome. I think I have decided to visit a lawyer at least to find out what position I am in. thanks