Thread: Shocked
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
triciafawn

Originally Posted by lexusgirl View Post
Well sorry to bring this post back up. I am off to change all the locks on the house. I was advised against it by the property managment company, but I did call the Sergent just now and double checked with him to make sure I would not be in any trouble criminally if I did so. He said there is no law stating you can not change the locks if you fear someone.

Although through a legal standpoint I could be liable in small claims court I believe.

Hope I'm doing the right thing...I'm afraid it's only going to make him angrier at me...
let me reiterate....as a property manager in the leasing field since 1990, I can truthfully tell you that if he is vacating the property (removing his things....i.e., will not be living there), you have every right to change the locks, if you fear your safety, even if he is still on the lease.

In the same token, if he still have things of personal value on the premises after you have changed the locks, you just have to allow him to come get the rest of his things. I would suggest calling the police again like you did before, while he's there getting his things, if you feel that he will be angered that his key won't work anymore.

He won't do anything about it. Worst case scenario he would go to the property management office and complain, but they can't do anything about it either. All they can do is direct him back to you.

Also, read your lease - and if there is nothing in the verbaige of the lease that specifically refers to your situation, then he has no recourse against you. It's all such grey areas....no one ever does anything about it. He may get mad, but that's all he can really do.

What's most important is your SAFETY. So do whatever it takes!