Old 04-07-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
liesagain

looking for advice ............about my son

I'm having some trouble with my son.................

hes 17 and was given a fast car by his dad and grandparents..........
he has only had his license 6 months because I made him wait for the learner..............so long story short the agreement was
ONE TICKET for speeding and the car is taken away

well a few days ago he got a ticket for what could have been a very serious charge...........street racing he was going 30 or more over the speed limit as was his friend that was driving another car..........( friend by the way didnt get any punishment other than he has to pay his own ticket and friend is out cruising all over like nothing happened)

I'm sticking to my word the car is parked until hes 18.

Hes not getting the gravity of the choice he made to speed and hes actually angry that not only is he losing his car but I wont let him drive mine or my husbands either...............NOT RIGHT NOW

for one thing you dont correct behavior by taking it then handing him something else to drive............

WELL hes furious with me...............I'm unfair I'm adding things to the punishment, hes talking back and acting disrespectful because hes not getting his way

Plus hes making excuses for his bad decision, its everyone elses fault
hes being wronged somehow speeding is something everyone does I'm just paranoid clah blah blah

I keep telling him UNTIL he changes his attitude and begins to accept responsibility for his choice AND he fully understands the gravity of what HES done then he will not drive at all

yet he continues with the attitude and excuses and disrespect
and keeps saying, I do understand I do accept responsibility., I KNOW I shouldnt speed I wont again but then he still says but its not a big deal everyone does ....and he continues the same stuff talking arguing acting out

Heres my question how can I explain or show him what accepting responsibility means...That just saying you do doesnt make it so..............and how can I help him understand the gravity of his choice??

any and all Suggestions and advice is welcome...................THANKS