View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

triciafawn
Welcome! Enabler is a scarey word. I'm not very fond of it because it implies that people are assisting the alcoholic on purpose. It's true that we do stuff unknowingly to assist the alcoholic but it's certainly not the intent. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Actually, I'm quite impressed with how well you handled the situation overall. You laid down a bottom line, stuck to it, and he took you seriously. That's good stuff.

The glimpse you've seen of the alcoholic side of him is the true him until HE desides to change. His family is right though......he needs something more than 72 hours of detox. Alcoholics (particularly long term, later stage alcoholics) aren't usually successful at white knuckling it through "recovery".

He has taken a positive first step. He has isolated himself right now because that is what he feels he needs. He's concentrating (hopefully) on himself and sobriety. Now, what can you do to support him in that effort? Educate yourself on this disease. Recognize the behaviors that we (codependents) fall into. Read. Go to Alanon. All of those things are things that you can do to be prepared if or when he knocks at your door again. And the journey of self discovery is amazing (or at least it is for me).

gentle hugs