Thread: Need experience
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2003, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
trying33
Paused

Need experience

I have a situation going on and I really need someone's experience/strength/hope.

Ive been in a relationship with an alcoholic for 18 mos. In and out of rehab, he seems to always end up back where he started. He decided to do a full 6 month rehab and actually completed it.

Now, we've been married for 6 mos. About 1.5 mos. into it my spouse seemed to have lost all interest in our relationship. I've given it almost 5 months... asking for us to go into counseling, asking what may be going on (as far as our estrangement, never accusations), explained the way I've felt etc...

After an aweful Thanksgiving holiday (where there was drinking involved), I decided to ask again, what may be the problem. I was told that it just takes a lot of concentration to stay sober, and he hasn't really had the "time" to put into our marriage/relationship.

We decided to split temporarily to give him the time he needs to focus on his sobriety, alone. No other issues to deal with. We'd do counseling a couple times a month to work on the marriage/relationship.

Every night since he's been gone, he's been drinking. I'm blessed it's not while in my presence, but still a little disappointed.

Our entire relationship has been revolving around alcoholism. Drink, do rehab, get out, drink, do rehab again, loose contact with our relationship, get out, drink, move out and drink.

I'm at the end of my rope...close to divorce. I need some e/s/h.

Please, respond...I realize I have some responsability in this too. I've been doing my al-anon, it's not helping much right now.

Thank you in advance.