Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

I hate feeling used and taken advantage of, but I don't know where the line is between "helping family" and "enabling".
Finding and holding a job, and pitching in financially doesn't appear to be on his list of priorities, does it?

Why should it be? He's learned that he has a 'safe place to fall', a place to call home where nothing really is required of him, no?

I went through that whole thing of 'she has no place to go' when my oldest daughter got out after serving 9 months on felony drug charges.

I set down the rules in MY household and allowed her to stay. She broke every rule in the house, including sneaking booze in and stashed it in her closet.

That lasted one month. I showed her the front door, changed the locks and got a restraining order on her (she also drug my then 15 year old daughter into some things).

I have also been on the other side of the fence as an alcoholic/addict myself, now in recovery for many years.

My parents almost loved me to death.

We don't change until the pain of drinking/using becomes greater than the fear of recovery.

In my opinion, you are enabling your brother.