Old 03-25-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Barbara52

Originally Posted by vtsister View Post
I don't know where the line is between "helping family" and "enabling".
First let me say I know none of this is easy. Its very hard to figure and then do what is right for you.

In figuring where the line between helping and enabling lies, a good rule of thumb is are you doing something the person is capable of doing for themselves?

Can your brother, an adult, be expected to find and hold a job, be self supporting, find a palce to live and pay for it? Unless there is something you haven't said, the answer is yes.

Enabling means removing the natural consequences of his choices. By removing those consequences, good and bad, you prevent him from being responsible for his actions and choices and in many ways hold him back from being an adult.

Unfortunately, there are way too many cases where a alcoholic has to hit bottom before they are ready to begin their road rto recovery. For some, that bottom unfortunately includes slepping on a park bench as you fear might happen. He is an adult, capable of deciding what he wants from life, whether that is what you or I would choose ot not.