Old 03-25-2008, 04:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
vtsister

Thank you, LaTeeDa and Barbara52, for your replies.

LaTeeDa, at first we didn't know that he was out drinking. He's been through treatment twice previously, and has remained clean and sober for varying amounts of times afterwards. At the time we let him move in with us, I didn't know that he was back to drinking and smoking pot.

Yes, I feel very bad, very guilty about telling him he has to leave, especially when I know he doesn't have a job. It breaks my heart to think of my brother sleeping on a park bench somewhere, or living in his car in the middle of winter.

I hate feeling used and taken advantage of, but I don't know where the line is between "helping family" and "enabling".

This wouldn't even be an issue if he'd kept his job, because up until then, he had faithfully paid his rent on time, every time.

I don't know why he got kicked out of my other brother's house. I didn't ask. (That brother is also an alcoholic and not easy to talk to much of the time.) I didn't think it was my business to ask that anyway.

Barbara52, I just don't know how to approach this pay-your-rent-or-you're-out issue. Just last week I had talked to him about catching up on what he owed. He was going to pay me extra each week until he got caught up, but now he's laid off again and won't have any money.

When I talked to him last week, I told him that we were looking for a place to move to, and that meant he'd have to look for another place too, but that he could have until October to move out because we are just starting to look for a place, and I'm sure it will take some time to sell our house before we move. I used that as the reason for him needing to move because I figured that way, he wouldn't feel like he was being "kicked out", and there would be no hard feelings. I also felt like it was giving him plenty of time to find another place, especially since living with us was supposed to be just "temporary", and he's now been here almost a year and a half. (And not a bit better off than when he first moved in, I might add.)

Isn't it mean to "kick a person when he's down" though, meaning, isn't it rather hard-hearted of me to tell my brother he's got to get out, when just yesterday he told me he doesn't have a job again?