View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 03:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
VinnieNL

4 days .... finally quit drinking

Hi I am new here and I quit drinking 4 days ago. finally

I am the kind of drinker who drinks not every day just every 3-4 days. When I drink I drink app 15 bottles of beer an evening.

I have been feeling guilty for my wife and 3 children as I feel I am not there for them when I am hungover.....hurts. My job suffers from it and my health is crap as well...

I have been drinking in this pattern for the last 16 years. I am 32 years old (yes in Holland you can drink from the age of 16).

All my friends still drink and they call me crazy and really dont understand why I should want to quit. When I told them last Saturday that I quit drinking they just lauched and said I would not make it 1 week (normally I dont make it). They also said not to tell my wife I quit so that she doesn't get mad when I do go drinking.... They did try to make me feel better by saying that they would be really proud of me if I could drink only once a week yeah right..

The next day I already got a message from one of them asking me to have a beer with him.....wtf

So I came to the conclusion that my friends are actually just drinking buddies real friends wouldn't do that...

I told all of them to leave me alone for the next 3 weeks to give me a chance to fight of the first of many battles with alcohol. Havent heard from them since..

I know from earlier experiences that day 1-2 for me are easy day 3-4 there starts a little restlesness and this grows in a big energy ball in my stomach that grows untill I convince myself I dont have a problem I am normal it was just a guys night out and just drink..... probably day 5-6.....

I have already found a few stories here that confrim my drinking pattern and it is really nice to see all the other stories.. I have gained a lot of strength from them..

To keep myself busy I have cancelled all appointment in the evenings and I will stay home untill all kids are asleep. Then I go to my garage and work on my cars. The last few days this helped a lot but now it is getting much harder to concentrate or find the patience to do things nicely..

I will be checking in every day for sure because writing about it has made me feel a lot better

THANKS A LOT FOR JUST BEING HERE YOU CHANGED MY LIFE.

Vinnie