Thread: Why is it?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

I have been going to a meeting every Friday night since last summer but I haven't joined the group, and haven't felt the magic yet, and I'm still drinking.
I will back what the lost one shared, there are folks who get and stay sober just by going to meetings and not drinking. My first 2 months after I got out of detox I thought that was all I needed plus a sponsor. I was going to a minimum of a meeting a day at that time, I was calling my sponsor every day and thought I was doing good, then the stinking thinking started back up and drinking again started sounding better and better, I came very close to drinking again.

Well fortunantly some of the stuff the old timers in the meetings were shareing seemed like a darn good idea to try. They said the best shot at not only long term sobriety, but the serenity and peace spoken of in the rooms lay in working the steps with a sponsor. In chapter 5 "How it Works" it says "Half measures availed us nothing." started to stand out like a sore thumb to me!

Just going to meeting and having a sponsor did not lead to the magic for me, I am like the alcoholics described in the BB, I needed to thouroughly follow thier path, and that meant working the steps with a sponsor.

Once I started to work the steps with my sponsor the "Magic" started to happen for me, then the Miracle happened for me, thanks to me working the ENTIRE suggested program my obsession for alcohol was lifted. For alcoholics like me the statement "Half measures availed us nothing." holds very true.

There are folks who need nothing more then meetings, I know folks personally with 20+ years sober due to nothing more then a ton of meetings, many of these folks have been going to daily meetings for 20+ years. Working the ENTIRE suggested program has allowed me to be able to happily be able to live life on lifes terms happily sober and now not going to meetings every day.

Meetings are but a small part of the suggested program, are half measures availing you nothing? Might be a good idea to try the whole suggested program, then less then half of it.