View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
warrens

SeekingSelf

I'm not going to try to convince yout that it is a disease. Or not. Or an allergy.

What I do know is that I've known many people over the decades who drank more than I did and were not alcoholics. Seriously. In my 20's and 30's in Chicago, the pub was a way of life for people my age. High achieving people.

But they could take it or leave it. Or they could have just one. Or they could go on a cruise and get smashed every night for two weeks. And come home and not drink for a week. Without even thinking about it.

I can't do that. I can't have just one beer. I can't drink just 2 nights/week.

There is something fundamentally different between them and me. I don't need to explain it. All I know is right now I'm doing fine not drinking. But I could never have one without having 3-4. And I would then do the same thing tomorrow. And then 6-10 beers this weekend. I would not be able to be comfortable without at least a six pack in the fridge.

Do I think it is a disease? Yup. I also think that obesity and anorexia are diseases. Sexual obsession is a disease. Obsessive cleaning is a disease. Just my opinion. What if I'm wrong? Doesn't matter, when I drink I am not in control. Is that a moral failing? It is not a decison to drink or not, the issue is how much. I can have none, but I cannot have one. So be it.

warrens