View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Ken I am really moved by your first meeting, it brings back the same feelings I had, that fear of walking in that door, suddenly finding myself saying my name and that this was my first meeting (Actually it was my second one, I went to the first one drunk on my butt about 4-5 years before I was serious about getting sober).

I left that meeting knowing I was no longer alone and that there was hope for me! Glad to hear you are going to keep going back, the most important meetings I go to are the ones I don't want to go to! Especially in early sobriety my alcoholism would try and convince me that I did not need to go to a meeting that night....... in reality I really needed a meeting to stay sober.

Keep in mind that in meetings you will hear some folks say some stuff that sounds really out there..... well guess what? It may be out there!!!! Not every person in an AA meeting has been sober for 20 years, something like 26% of folks in AA have less then a year sober so you may hear some really crazy stuff.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can hear good things from some one with only 3 days sober and hear some really crazy crap from someone with 30 years!!!! Keep an eye out for folks in meetings that you would like to be like (Not materially), try and introduce your self.

Stick with the folks who have what you want, ask some one to be your temporary sponsor, they will answer a lot of questions for you and give you some suggestions on things that helped them stay sober.