Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
peachy1005

hey, just wanted to put my 2 cents in and say that a wean can be sucessful- I had similar story to yours as far as drug of choice (and method of intake ) . I was doing about the same amount, too - between 150 - 200 mg/day. I quit the oxycontin on a saturday, and switched to norco (hydrocodone 10/325). I took 8 norco a day for the first week, then down to 6, 4 and 2 the following weeks. I was feeling physical withdrawals the entire time from the oxycontin that was getting out of my system; even with the 80mg hydrocodone a day I was taking, it still was no walk in the park.
When I came off the narcs entirely, it was a full 72 hours of hell - no sleep, diarrhea, restless legs/chills etc.
What I wanted to stress to you is that while this is no walk in the park, it can be done, and will-power will be your greatest ally. I think it is wonderful that you are under a doctor's care for this, and that your dad is so understanding and able to help you. I think the idea of having you dad dole them out is outstanding. Just take it one day or one hour, or one minute at a time, whatever you have to do to continually put off taking the next one is what worked for me.
Feel free to PM me at any time with specific questions on what to expect, or just to chat.
Good luck to you

- Brad