Thread: Please help
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
caraway

I'm not very good at giving advice on things like this but since you're still on line I'll give it a go!

For me, I've found that being a member of AA and working the steps helps with these 'flashback' type of memories. The more you share and the more you hear from others, the better it gets. Steps 4 and 5 in particular deal with this. I find that for myself, it is a slow process - some long forgotten thing will come up (and at 52 I have a lot of long forgotten things to pop up! If I'm feeling a bit down I have to make quite an effort to let it go. It gets easier.

Non alcoholics get these flashbacks aswell. I know this because sometimes my husband will suddenly put his head in his hands and groan. I'll say 'whats the matter' and he'll say something like 'I've just remembered something stupid I did years ago.' My mother (whos 81) says the same, she says she cringes at some of the things she said and did when she was younger - and she isn't an alkie - so she wasn't even drunk.

But I'd say its very normal. Now that I'm just over 2months sober myself (again!) I feel quite lucky to be an alkie because I have a program that helps with this sort of thing. Being an alkie CAN actually be a blessing - no matter what you've done. And no matter what you've done before - someone else will have done it too. Really, icecream, they will have - you're not alone.