View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Done_With_It
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Alabasterbox View Post
Thank you. And you're so right... I need the Nar-Anon classes... I just need to let it go.

I have an additional question.

I come from a very traditional family with a traditional background. My parents/family/friends all thought that I was moving really fast when he and I got engaged and married. I didn't listen. And because I didn't listen I didn't know that my husband was a junkie. So now, I have to confront my family and friends about this and I don't want to embarass him. I don't want them to think he's a bad guy because he's really not. He's just a lousy husband.

How did your family and friends react when you told them? Do you think it's our responsibility to "out" our spouse's addictions?

I told a 'few' close friends, but 'for me' I didn't feel it was necessary to let everyone know what was going on with me. I also have struggled with an eating disorder most of my life and everyone has taken a front row seat to that. When I got better and learned how to deal with that, it was all me and I stopped including everyone in my drama. THAT'S JUST ME. What worked for me. If I had not gotten better or needed more help, I would have asked for more help, or gotten others involved possibly.

As to letting people know about your spouse's addiction, I think you should do what you need to do. Maybe ask yourself what your motives would be in telling others. And would it be helpful for all parties involved, but especially you. Is it going too help you to out him? Maybe, maybe not.

Do what you think is the right thing to do. And then be okay with your decision no matter what they outcome.

That's what I would do.

Hope that helps and didn't make it more confusing.

:ghug