View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 10:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoberAndy

Originally Posted by peaceteach View Post
What will you do if she relapses and you find out, Andy? I don't ask to be confrontational. I am in a similar situation with my living-at-home son and I just wonder if you and your wife have a "plan".
Our situation is different because this is a temporary. She's going to rehab on Monday. It was always the plan to send her back, but we didn't think it would take three weeks.

To be fair, she is much better than she was six months ago when we first found out about her addiction. She got booted from rehab, but it was because she continuously broke minor rules, not because of any major blow-up or relapse. She had been there 2-1/2 months. We may be naive but we really do believe she can do this, and so we are sending her to another one.

It has simply taken longer than we expected to get her into another rehab for reasons that would take too long to explain. Because it's temporary, we've been willing to put up with a lot of things that we would not otherwise put up with. She confessed to relapsing once and we believe she has done so two or three other times. We've been willing to put up with her attitude because the situation is temporary. She gave us a lot of attitude just before going to the last rehab. The counselors at the out-patient center tell us it is very common for addicts to do that.

Originally Posted by peaceteach View Post
I have a feeling it is just a matter of time until my son falls again, if he isn't already? I am divorced and trying to figure this out on my own and it might be helpful to hear a man's plan.
But to answer your question. You have to tell him he's out of the house if he uses or he must go to rehab. That's the choice that our daughter was given last Fall. Fortunately, she chose the rehab, but only after spending a night on the street with a drug dealer.

Is your son attending treatment? If you can't afford rehab, then maybe demanding that he attend an out-patient program is an option. Get him to sign a release so you will be notified if he fails any drug tests and let him know that the next stop is the street.