View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
outtolunch

What the heckis going on with these 19 year old girls? There are so many of us on this board in the same situation and the DOC is heroin.

Back in November my 19 year old daughter was admitted to three different rehabs, in three different states, in 11 days. Is that a record?

She spent 3 months in the last rehab and it was their recommendation that upon discharge she be given the choice of a homeless shleter, a transfer to another more affordable inpatient facility or a highly structured Sober Living enviornment.

Well I wimped out on the homeless shelter part because there are no beds right now at appropriate inpatient or Sober Living places. I thought how bad could it be for a few weeks:

I laid down simple rules and consequences:

If she steals from me, I call the Police and press charges.
If she takes our car, I will report it stolen and press charges.
If she is arrested for anything, I will not bail her out or hire a lawyer.
If she uses, she is out of the house.
If she does not return home by 11:00, the security alarm goes on and the door remains closed for the night.
I will buy what she needs but will not give her a penny.
I protect my wallet, cash, credit cards and checks.

She has no interest in working the 12 steps, therapy or anything else. Most nights she does not return home. My sense is she has replapsed with something although I have no evidence of it, yet.

I am not making myself nuts by searching her stuff. I figure if she is using it will become apparent to the most casual observer, soon enough. And when it does, I pray for the strength to get out of her way and let her go.

Bottomline is addicts need enablers to survive and I am not going to enable addiction.