View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hangin' In
Southern through and through

I don't know if you're husband is working a program of recovery, but my guess if is he were, he'd know better than to try and guilt you. Sounds as if he's desperate and trying whatever he can to get his way.

The important thing I've learned in recovery is that I have to take care of me, healthy care of me. For so long I worried about everyone else, making them happy, and how I looked in other people's eyes. I had to look good, be the good guy, be the nice one. That thinking is what was got me to the point of being totally miserable because it is literally impossible to please everyone else all the time.

Recovery is about taking a good look at ourselves and deciding that we are worth the hard work and decisions it takes to save our lives/sanity. I know there is more involved here, with the kids an all. But I've learned I just cannot compromise myself anymore for the sake of someone else. Because when I do that, then I am not happy and, in the long run, those other people aren't happy either.

You might want to think about the resentfulness you'll feel if you yet again give in just to make everyone else happy. I DO know this one thing. Resentfulness will eat you alive. I've been there.

Hugs and prayers for you, praying you can shut out all those voices coming at you from all sides. Praying that you can sit down with you HP and take a good look at YOUR life and what would be best. It may require some tough decisions, but in the end, I've found when I am true to myself and don't compromise just to make everyone else happy with me, it's then I am happy with myself and my life.

Hangin' In