View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wascally Wabbit
Power is not having to respond

Originally Posted by PaxAeterna View Post
Well, now, I realize I've been deeply affected. Intimate relationships are impossible for me. Expressing my feelings is very difficult. I'm a perfectionist. I have problems with authority figures. I'm bitter and selfish. I can't get things done. I'm addicted to food and caffeine. I struggle at work. I'm anxious and depressed. I feel I am an intelligent person and I work with other intelligent people, and every day I see what I could have been if my childhood wasn't a trainwreck. I see other people moving forward in their lives, enjoying their success, where I'm stuck in a rut and am terrified of responsibility.

Classic symptoms of anyone who's had to live around an alcoholic.
It does affect us. It does make us crazy.
But, as you will find, if you are willing, help is available. We don't have to be crazy any more.
Taking that first step to recover our lives is necessary for growth.

My mother was a hateful mean falling down drunk for most of my yearly and teen years. The seeds she planted grew into two children who have problems to this day. I am 52. My sis is 42. My sis won't so much as even speak to mom even tho it's been 30 years since my mom quit drinking!
The difference with me now is that I can recognize the manipulation, and refuse to be part of it. It took a while to get here, but I am way better now than even just 10 yrs ago.

Posting here, and learning from others has helped me tremendously.
Alanon's belief system has changed me forever.

It's time for a change isn't it?
Keep coming back.