View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
prodigal

Originally Posted by Load Warrior View Post
I know that if/when I leave him, it'll be MUCH harder (if possible at all) for him to recover.
Unfortunately, although you believe this to be true, sadly, it is not. He doesn't want to quit drinking, as he has told you. Whether you are there or not does not factor into his drinking equation.

I'd suggest you find local Al-Anon meetings in your area and try a few. One of the fundamentals you will learn is: you did not CAUSE it, you cannot CONTROL it, and you cannot CURE it; better known as the three C's.

His recovery is his, and his alone. I left my husband and it didn't stop his drinking. I returned and it didn't stop his drinking. I found out that whether I was in the home, away from home, or out of the home ... he continued to drink.

Please take some time to read the stickies at the top of our forum. They contain a wealth of information about the disease of alcoholism. Most of us will also suggest you pick up a copy of Codependent No More by Melody Beattie. It addresses the issues we, as loved ones of addicts, face.