View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
GingerM

You know that little saying "One day at a time"? I've had many a time when I was way too tired to turn anything over, or to pray. I've changed the saying and taken it down to "One second at a time" when I'm really down. I'll look at a clock and just focus on the second hand, and take comfort that I've made it thru _one_ second. By the time I've thought that it's been 5 seconds, and so I can focus on the next 5 until I've added up a full 10 seconds.
Wow Mike, that took me back a bunch of years (about 15 or so of them, I'd guess). I can remember going to work and, literally, taking it minute by minute. Looking at what I had to do and breaking it down into one minute tasks. Then rewarding myself by allowing myself to go in the bathroom and cry if I made it 5 minutes while staying on task. I think my coworkers thought I had bowel problems

Wow, that was a long time ago, and wow, how much has changed. Now I rarely use that tool, although I have done so recently at a funeral when I had to navigate the airports while not being in the best frame of mind. Anything beyond 'the next step' had to be pushed out of my mind because I could only focus on one thing in addition to the grief.

So these are good tools to have. Even when we've passed further down the recovery path, the tools can be used for situations that have nothing to do with our past.