View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hangin' In
Southern through and through

Skeetermag,

I'm sorry you are going through this.

Can I ask what did you mean by saying you tried Al Anon but "this is out of my reach right now"? If you just went to one or two meetings, that's not enough. I know when I first started going to my meetings, I thought those folks were crazy. They told me to come to at least six meetings. And if after that I was still miserable, they'd refund my misery..

And like Marle said, he could and would have somenwhere to go if he chose to do so. Addicts are very resourceful people and I bet you a dollar to a doughnut he'd find a place real quick like.

Recovery has taught me that I have to take healthy care of myself. And if that means setting some boundaries (and that is very hard sometimes), meaning deciding what is and isn't acceptable behavior to have around me, then so be it. I've had to do that, Skeeter, in order to restore sanity to my life.

I did it by attending meetings and reading on this board and listening to people in recovery who are making it .... those folks that have peace and serenity in the midst of the storm. I have to work my recovery everyday. It's a lifestyle, not just a meeting here and there. And I wouldn't take $1,000,000 for what I've learned in recovery.

Hugs and prayers. It can get better. It starts with you deciding what can be the first step, even a tiny, baby step toward you taking healthy care of you.

Hangin' In