Thread: Treatment?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
greenidentity

Originally Posted by Juju54 View Post
Hi, Green.

I don't know what your job situation is, but I can tell you that my own employer has been nothing but supportive. Fortunately, I have good insurance, and will be able to utilize Short Term Disability (already approved) for whatever time I'm in rehab. So far, everyone seems to be pretty well informed about addictions and treatment, so my own circumstances are no big surprise to them. (I'm checking in tomorrow...long story...if you're interested you can see my other post under Alcoholism). And my boss has been incredible. We both cried when I told her I was going into rehab, and she told me she was very proud of my decision. She'd lost two siblings as a result of alcoholism.

What I can tell you from the experience I've had in sobriety, is that what others say is very true: my worst day sober is better than my best day drunk. I just wasted a whole frekin' beautiful summer because I came home and "drank my dinner".

Like you, for many years I never really feared that alcohol would kill me. I never before had the desperation I heard in the stories of many others. I just knew that my life worked SO MUCH BETTER when I wasn't drinking. And y'know what? At the time, that was all I needed to know. And it kept me sober. Friends never wondered why I wasn't drinking (frankly, most of them were sober, too). My observation was that when you're not drinking, you realize that there's a LOT of people who just don't drink. Weird, huh?

Anyway, since I'm in the middle of getting help myself, I really relate to where you are. And I wish you all the best. My prediction...for what it's worth...is that once you make the decision to make your life better, you'll be amazed at how the universe will open doors and clear your path for you.

Best of luck to you, my friend. I'll be looking for your posts when I get outta "da joint".

Juju54
Thank you so much.