View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FightingIrish
problem with authority

Going to rehab was one of the best decisions I ever made. I see why rehabs get a bad rap, though, and that's because I think a lot of people go there thinking it's going to "fix them"...like it's a service you get as long as you pay your money. (The other group whom you meet there is people whose parents sent them there thinking it's going to "fix them.") Either way, the upshot is that the people who don't want it and don't do the work don't get better.

I firmly believe I needed to go, and I went there willingly. I definitely needed the detox, and I needed to build up some time before I could believe that I could ever be helped. I drank every single day (aside from two tries at stopping which lasted for five days each) for five years, which was only the last five of a twenty year period that included blackout and binge drinking right from the start. Since the age of fifteen I never really knew what a week without booze was like.

As long as you keep an open mind (you know this) and are honest and willing, you will do great. :praying:praying