Notices

Checking into rehab tomorrow...HELP!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking into rehab tomorrow...HELP!

Hi, folks.

This is the third time getting sober for me. The first time was twenty years ago when I started going to AA largely because all my friends were getting sober and I didn't have anyone to play with anymore. Musta learned something in spite of myself because I stayed sober for 7 years.

Then, I drank "successfully" for a few years before things got crazy again and I knew I had to quit...so off to AA I went again in 2002. This time I stayed sober for 5 years.

And here's what happened...

A little over two years ago, I had gastric bypass surgery. Before then, I was pretty oblivious to how much I relied on food for comfort, even though my weight had risen dangerously high. Long story short, my other addictions started kicking in big time...obsessively working, spending money, taking prescription medication inappropriately...and when I couldn't get the meds anymore, I turned back to an old "friend"...booze.

Trouble was, my body was different this time around. I'm missing about 4 feet of intestine, so alcohol hits my system fast and hard. Before, my drinking resulted in a few nasty hangovers, but never blackouts or full blown withdrawals. Not so this time. I don't really have hangovers (with the headaches & throwing up), but after about 12-18 hours without a drink, I begin shaking and sweating...like the detoxing I've read about from many of you. And for the first time I really believe that drinking can kill me, and I'm scared.

So after a couple of weeks of research and talking to friends, arrangements are made at home, at work, and the treatment center, and I'm off to rehab in the morning.

And I'm bloody scared to death.

A part of me, though, is excited to finally get to deal with some of these lifelong issues, but another part of me is scared knowing that it's going to be hard, and fearing that I'll fail...again.

So any words of encouragement, or sharing your own rehab experiences would be SO appreciated.

Thanks for letting me yammer on a bit. Hope to talk to y'all again in...ohhh...3-4 weeks.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The best thing about being intreatment is - it really gives you a chance to not worry about anything other than the task at hand.

You get temporary shelter from the world - a 'vacation' from life if you will.

Make the most of it.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

With your health you must get rehab and treatment, don't worry rehab isn't really horrific as it sounds... ever need to talk just IM me or something on AIM at Paulosthespy or send me a PM or something, don't worry bub you'll be ok.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've never been in rehab so I don't know. Just wanted to send you big hugs and lots of love.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Juju, fear of failing is never a reason not to try...You have 12 years of sobriety to reference...you have done this before...you can do it again!

I wish you all the best...take care of yourself and come back!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

rehab isn't bad at all, atleast where I went (which was Ashley). i met many interesting people, learned alot. your in for a good experience i think. nowadays everyone is going to rehab (ha!), its the cool thing to do. you will come out feeling a whole lot more betterer. its a great opportunity, many people don't have the resources to go. take advantage of it.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Juju, good for you for dealing with your problems. I haven't been to rehab, just want to say I'm wishing you all the best and I'm glad to hear that part of you is exited about it. I'd concentrate on that part of you and it might help keep the fear in perspective.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Big fat thanks!!!

Thanks to all who responded; it means a lot. I know this is going to be a Very Good Thing. I have so much encouragement and support, and am very touched by it (though friends might say I've always been a bit "touched").

See y'all on the other side!

Love you. Mean it.:ghug

Deb (aka JUJU54)
Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Juju, I wish you well in rehab and be sure to come back and let us know how you're doing.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's great that you are willing to seek help!
Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Going to rehab was one of the best decisions I ever made. I see why rehabs get a bad rap, though, and that's because I think a lot of people go there thinking it's going to "fix them"...like it's a service you get as long as you pay your money. (The other group whom you meet there is people whose parents sent them there thinking it's going to "fix them.") Either way, the upshot is that the people who don't want it and don't do the work don't get better.

I firmly believe I needed to go, and I went there willingly. I definitely needed the detox, and I needed to build up some time before I could believe that I could ever be helped. I drank every single day (aside from two tries at stopping which lasted for five days each) for five years, which was only the last five of a twenty year period that included blackout and binge drinking right from the start. Since the age of fifteen I never really knew what a week without booze was like.

As long as you keep an open mind (you know this) and are honest and willing, you will do great. :praying:praying
Old 02-19-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you, waiting to hear out it goes when you get back.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Well your probably packing right now with thousand thoughts going through your head, just don't talk yourself out of going Everyone has fear going in its normal, you will be all settled in in a few days as you get comfortable with the routine and new people. Before you know it your time will be up as you head out feeling healthy and ready to start living and practice using the new tools you have acquired.

After 60 days in some ways i didn't want to leave, good luck

Last edited by StayinAlive; 02-19-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well juju I see I am a day late and a dollar short, I did not do rehab, but I did go through a 5 day detox which did get me through all the nasty parts of detox like the DTs!!!!

Just open your mind, be willing to learn and to change. You have 12 years of sobriety that you can lean on. Try to focus on why you relapsed and work on that.

Sit down and ask your self "What did I quit or start doing that led me to relapse?

Be honest with the folks in rehab, honesty will get you a long way towards long term recovery.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

pray