View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
unigirl
One Day At A Time

Triggers....what to do about them!?

Hi all, im nearly 13 days sober - i've got up to 2 months before in A.A. but relapsed. Now im back again (after around 6 weeks of drinking- which was - as promised, worse than before) and i do feel i've accepted that i am an alcoholic more- though not fully.

Iive got a sponser in A.A and starting the 12 steps tommrow- doing my 1 st - admitting i am powerless over alcohol and my life is unmanagebale. I can do this without hesitation now. However i still get overhwelming desires to drink. I am 20 years old and at uni- a lot of mates drink so talking with them can be a trigger. Also hearing certain songs, memories of the good time i drank (not many lol....) trigger my desire to have a drink. The thing is i never want to drink again forever. Just have the desire to have one last night out and get wasted. I think its the need for escapism too. I know this is very common, but just wanted to know what others do/have done if this has occured with them?

I do ring my sponser sometimes- but others times i dont- some days id be ringing her several times and she is a busy woman. I also pray which does help. I also feel much better after meetings.However i am so sick of getting these feelings. I feel it really hinders my recovery and im scared one day ill go and act upon my thoughts and actually drink. Which i never want to do again - (most of the time). After these thoughts and the desire to drink again subside i look back and think 'what the hell was i thinking?!'. Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks.