Thread: Detox
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
justanothrdrunk
Retired Pro Drunk

I've heard of outpatient or at-home detox that was done in the past where your Dr. gave you meds (usually benzos - vallium, librium, etc.) to help fight the DTs. I've never heard of getting more than 3 days worth.

As I understood, or I thought, this simply wasn't done any longer. Too many possible complications. Detox can be really risky for some people.

Most medical/residential (inpatient) detox places that I've heard of will hold you for 24 hours so long as there have been no medical complications. If they medicate you for DTs, then it's 72 hours. Or it can be longer if there are additional medical complications.

I've never heard of any injections or any prescription protocol that goes for longer than 3 days for alcohol. There are withdrawal protocols for other drugs that are longer (benzos).

I'm not an expert, but I've been through it a few times. And I'm close to several others who have. For everyone I know it has been the same, inpatient, 72 hour protocol.

Edit: I just noticed your location - UK. I'm in the US. I'm sure that there are different things in different places. I'm not familiar at all with how things are done outside the US.

Last edited by justanothrdrunk; 02-13-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Speaking only for inside the US.