Detox

Old 02-13-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox

My brother tells me he's waiting for a date for some kind of detox thing, he was a bit vague about it and I wasn't sure if i should ask him too many questions etc (it's a long time since we've been able to talk to each other, and I want to keep us talking so I don't lose any contact with my nephew)
Anyway, he said he gets an injection which lasts for about a week to help him with withdrawals, he had bad hallucinations a couple of times.
Does anyone know anything about this kind of thing (does it exist for a start?!!) I know he had some medication from the doctor for it twice before, but they were pills.
Any idea how it will affect him? (If it's going to be anything like last time I'd like to have some plan to keep my nephew away from the worst times if possible)
Any info on this would be very much appreciated
Thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I've heard of outpatient or at-home detox that was done in the past where your Dr. gave you meds (usually benzos - vallium, librium, etc.) to help fight the DTs. I've never heard of getting more than 3 days worth.

As I understood, or I thought, this simply wasn't done any longer. Too many possible complications. Detox can be really risky for some people.

Most medical/residential (inpatient) detox places that I've heard of will hold you for 24 hours so long as there have been no medical complications. If they medicate you for DTs, then it's 72 hours. Or it can be longer if there are additional medical complications.

I've never heard of any injections or any prescription protocol that goes for longer than 3 days for alcohol. There are withdrawal protocols for other drugs that are longer (benzos).

I'm not an expert, but I've been through it a few times. And I'm close to several others who have. For everyone I know it has been the same, inpatient, 72 hour protocol.

Edit: I just noticed your location - UK. I'm in the US. I'm sure that there are different things in different places. I'm not familiar at all with how things are done outside the US.

Last edited by justanothrdrunk; 02-13-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Speaking only for inside the US.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm growing

I don't know. Could you possibly call the Dr. office and ask for information?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks just, I think maybe we do have different ways of doing it over here, I do know he had litium the first time, but the doctor wouldn't give it to him without an assurance that someone else would monitor it (ended up being methat time as I was with him) but he got 7 days supply and had to follow a plan to taper off from it.

Daisy, I thought of asking the doctor, but as far as I know he's not getting this through his doctor, its from some other place he's been going to about his drinking, Social Services I think, and I'm not convinced by them as last time he'd been sober for two weeks and they advised him to drink again (it's true, I was there and heard it!) Even though he'd been sober he was told to drink 8 cans a day, then 7 etc and taper it off, he just switched the cans for his usual vodka and carried on. Also, I don't want feel like I'm going behind his back and snooping on him.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Lucy

Not sure but i have heard that it can be very dangerous to completley stop and that tapering the alcohol is recommended. Social services you say Mmm i work for a local Authority in Wales so it cant be that different i'll make enquiries for you tomorrow. I know that they have privetly run rehabs that they can refer or recomend patients to but most would involve a detox that is supervised. I'll find out all i can and get back to you tomorrow.

Mair
Old 02-13-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Mair
Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mair View Post
Hi Lucy

Not sure but i have heard that it can be very dangerous to completley stop and that tapering the alcohol is recommended.
What confused me about this is they knew he'd not been drinking for two weeks, he'd been having hallucinations etc and his doc had given him librium, but they told him to go away and drink 8 cans of lager then taper off. It didn't seem right to me, but then again I'm just learning about this thing.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You know what Lucy, my xab doc used to give him anti depressants like smarties, im afraid that some doctors are still very blaze about alcoholism. My x took the "they told me not to stop completley" as a green light to carry on as normal, I didnt beleive it at first but read somewhere that it's really dangerous to stop without medical supervision.
I suppose it makes sense if they are in rehab being watched but left to control it themselves imho spells trouble. Take care

Mair