View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

I always go back to Bill and Dr. Bob. There they were sitting around trying to get sober and help each other. I envision them sitting in a "room" waiting for someone to come along with 5 years of sobriety so they could both have a "sponsor!"

We in the latter days of AA have elevated this concept of Sponsor" to something akin to having a name stenciled on our chests of our "sponsor." In the Big Book I don't think you can actually find the word "sponsor in the first 164 pages. It is more a case of someone who has been where we are trying to go. I tell my "pigeons" that I am simply here to give you my perspective and experience and for you to have someone to bounce your ideas off. After I have listened to an individual’s 5TH step I have some insight into who they are and where they come from. If their particular Dragons come to call I can POSSIBLY understand the biases and fears that may come into play based on the information they gave me when we shared the 5TH step.

In my opinion, as long as both of us are participating in AA, trying to practice the steps and are concerned about each other's welfare we have a pretty good chance of staying sober. Together we make a good team, and no one has to do it alone.

I HAVE HOWEVER, ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GRAND IDEA IF MY "SPONSEES" WOULD SOUND TRUMPETS WHEN I WALKED INTO THE ROOM! That however is still just an idea and I haven't seen much enthusiasm from the sponsee section.

Jon