View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rimmy

The Big Book does help!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have a new sense of self after reading the Big Book and that overnight, my desire to drink nearly diminished. I have been doing ok (much better than when drinking) but the desire and actually missing it has still been there.

I spent Saturday night and most of Sunday reading through it and it really gave me a new perspective on life. I didn't find God for those of you like me who just have reservation, but I found a perspective of handing some things off that are out of your control, and also some peace with my past. I found that by thinking not of myself as the center of the world, that I can be controlled rather than be "in control". I fully realize and have come to terms with the fact that I truly am powerless over alcohol and that it is ok. Now that I have stopped thinking that I might some day control it (I tried hard for 3 years without luck) a huge weight has been lifted. And it's only been two days, but not one urge. And my wife drinks in front of me every night. Not one urge to slug from her beer when the runs to the bathroom. Not one urge to grab a cold one from the fridge.

I truly hope I can keep this perspective because I feel elated to have the burdon feel so much further away.

So anyway, for those of you struggling, at least give the book a read if you are like myself, stubborn or "too busy" or just don't want to go to a meeting or think it's all about God. Read through it and think about who you are, and I think you can get a lot out of it. I don't believe just reading it is a substitution for going to a meeting, but if you are white knuckling it, it will give you something to do and why not look at life in a new perspective. No harm, no foul, right? I'm the same guy I was last week, but I changed my defenses against my urges and I don't feel I am fighting them so much.

And I'm not saying you don't have to work the steps. Please Please Please, I'm not saying you don't have to go to meetings. I am encouraging meetings for those who feel the need to go. But the book is there for those who might be interested and I truly believe it has helped me. I'm sure I will be reading through parts of it again and taking from it what I need.

Maybe someone can post a link to the online 4'th edition... that's what I read. I don't think I can post links.