View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

Originally Posted by hadenoughnow View Post
I look at it this way, computers have not been around very long and people in general are not comfortable with the technology yet and are VERY insecure (it is not second nature yet like using a phone or driving a car) so I try not to take it personally and just look at it as part of my job.
Sorry to keep coming back to this post, but I think I might be having an AHA here.

I believe one of the reasons I loved my job so much in the beginning was because I saw all these people who were insecure and scared of technology and I thought I could help them. One of my missions in this career was to empower people so that they wouldn't be so insecure and helpless concerning that putty-colored box on their desk.

Now, I'm figuring out that they don't want to be helped or empowered, they want someone to just "make it work." So here I am trying to help and teach people who don't want to be helped or taught. Sounds pretty codependent to me.

I still believe strongly in empowering people, though. So I guess it's time to find something to do where I can help people who want to be helped.

L