Thread: day 2
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 02:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

joey,

This sober path is really a simple one that we tend to complicate beyond belief. It always sounds trite, but the secret to getting and staying sober is "DON'T DRINK."

If you don't do that you end up with all sorts of free time to fix your life. I have no idea what else we may have in common, but I have 4 kids, all grown now, but I know how much a son looks to a father not only for help and companionship, but as a role model as to, how to "grow up." You are accepting the greatest responsibility there is, that being showing a boy that Dad can do the right thing when he puts his mind to it.

Good for you, now again I have no idea what your world is like, but I found that I needed a little support when I quit. I hated AA meetings and felt the place was full of wackos. I was pretty much right, almost to a person they were drunks or former drunks!
I stayed because I was more interested in being with my kids and taking care of my responsibilities than I was worried about the people I had to associate with in the rooms. After a few weeks I started listening and found a few that I might even have drunk with. I let myself belong and what do you know, all of a sudden that was 3000+ days ago and I am still not drinking.

I have attended three college graduations, two weddings and seen 4 grandkids come into the world, all while being sober. I drank whiskey hard and fast for 25 years and these last 8 sober years are by far a better way to go.

AA isn't for everybody, however I know many folks with years of sobriety who think it IS FOR THEM and I seem to hear from several naysayers with a few weeks or months that always have a better way, it just never seems to work for any length of time. I need help and AA has given me that. However as I said at the outset, DON'T DRINK and then you will have a fighting chance to decide about AA or no AA with a clear head.

These are the hardest days at the beginning, good luck and take a look in at the boy now and then when a bottle starts to look good.

Jon