Notices

day 2

Old 01-27-2008, 01:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 2

i decided yesterday that alcohol was a big problem in my life and that because of mine, and my sons lives-were being affected-only cos i was normally too hung over to do any of the normal father/son stuff-anyway last night was my first night-i spent some time posting on here-and there was so much support it really helped-i've just came through my first night and although i feel a bit rough-sort of a hangover but without alcohol helping to create it-i hope it gets better !! my goal for today is to get all the alcohol i've got stashed around the house-and get rid of THE LOT-i never realised how much of a grip it had on me until now-and its a scary thought

i wouldnt have had the nuts to start the road am on now if it hadnt have been to all those people who gave me the support to get through my first night sober

thanks to you all.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome Joey! Glad you are here! I'm starting over again--my last drink was last Monday (the 21st). I think it is a great start--to get rid of all the booze>just be careful. The last time i had to get rid of my stash, I asked a friend of mine to come over and help me. I gathered everything together and poured it out--they were just there for support & to make sure that I didn't try to "sneak" a drink or two from the bottle before pouring it out. It was very helpful, because I didn't know if I'd have the strength to do it all by myself. Good luck.....hang around awhile/keep posting!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i've already started-there's none upstairs AT ALL now-and i've just empied a few beers that i had in the fridge-it feels really weird doing it because instead of looking at it thinking"i'll need that for later-what am doing?" i've just took the bottle lids off-stood in front of my bathroon sink and poured it straight down-i felt really emotional when i was doing it-i had to force myself to do it because if it's in the house and i know i can get at it any time i want-then sooner or later i will-just better to remove ALL temptations-am not looking forward to emptying that full bottle of southern comfort though-i aint even had a drop of it !!!! i felt so many things then when i was pouring that out-i think the worst one ws dread knowing what i've got to do-and it HAS got to be done-prepare to see a fair bit of me on here !!lol
Old 01-27-2008, 02:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

joey,

This sober path is really a simple one that we tend to complicate beyond belief. It always sounds trite, but the secret to getting and staying sober is "DON'T DRINK."

If you don't do that you end up with all sorts of free time to fix your life. I have no idea what else we may have in common, but I have 4 kids, all grown now, but I know how much a son looks to a father not only for help and companionship, but as a role model as to, how to "grow up." You are accepting the greatest responsibility there is, that being showing a boy that Dad can do the right thing when he puts his mind to it.

Good for you, now again I have no idea what your world is like, but I found that I needed a little support when I quit. I hated AA meetings and felt the place was full of wackos. I was pretty much right, almost to a person they were drunks or former drunks!
I stayed because I was more interested in being with my kids and taking care of my responsibilities than I was worried about the people I had to associate with in the rooms. After a few weeks I started listening and found a few that I might even have drunk with. I let myself belong and what do you know, all of a sudden that was 3000+ days ago and I am still not drinking.

I have attended three college graduations, two weddings and seen 4 grandkids come into the world, all while being sober. I drank whiskey hard and fast for 25 years and these last 8 sober years are by far a better way to go.

AA isn't for everybody, however I know many folks with years of sobriety who think it IS FOR THEM and I seem to hear from several naysayers with a few weeks or months that always have a better way, it just never seems to work for any length of time. I need help and AA has given me that. However as I said at the outset, DON'T DRINK and then you will have a fighting chance to decide about AA or no AA with a clear head.

These are the hardest days at the beginning, good luck and take a look in at the boy now and then when a bottle starts to look good.

Jon
Old 01-27-2008, 02:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We're here with you all the way.
Stay strong Joey, you CAN do it!!
M
Old 01-27-2008, 02:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i have a 9yr old son and i'm sick and tired of him seeing me hung over-my drinking "used to" get in the way of my life-we haven't been on a father/son day out in 12 months-thinking about it i've just pushed him to the back of the queue-to be replaced by a bottle-and its gota stop-i've got to realise i'm a dad and i should be acting like one-not like a drunk !
Old 01-27-2008, 02:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

good for you Joey - because those are the things kids remember.

I know.
I am one.

And - when the time comes - we dont'seem to be able to remember our drinking parents as an UN happy thing - we seem to think of it instead of some 'finally fitting in with them' thing.

Break the cycle now.

Good JOB!!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you, great motivation...you sound so determined, your son will be so proud.
M x
Old 01-27-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i remember as a child watching my mother and father sitting around drinking with friends-and it was an everyday thing-i grew up around alcohol so it was normality to me-and i seen some pretty nasty sights-some of which i can still see now-25 years later-stuff that will never leave me-my mum climbing the walls cos there was no drink around etc-no violence or anythin-just what effect alcohol had on people-and theres no way in god's world-that my son is going to look back at his childhood like i do-no way whatsoever-and yes i AM determined-i'm not wrecking his life and my own just for the sake of a temporary fix !!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Joey,

Nice to see you back today and I'm really proud and impressed with what you're doing today, as well.

Be strong... ou're worth it and your son WILL thank you someday...

HuGGGGGGGGGGs

~C
Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Good going Joey, you're doing fantastic...

It might not seem like it now, but very soon you'll feel the benefits of what you're going through at the moment; I know the first couple of days aren't easy but you're doing really well...

Keep posting and well done...
Old 01-27-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hi again....

I saw your thread in Alcoholism
Forward we go...side by side

Blessings
Old 01-27-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering Alcoholic/Addict

Hey Joey:

I'm new here too, and I admire your choice. Depending how much you've been drinking though, I wouldn't try to go through the detox period (first 3-7 days) without your doctor's help. Be honest with them...tell them how much and how long you've drunk, and they may want to offer medical help. Uncontrolled detoxification can be dangerous.

Best of luck!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

thats a good job J. I never had the sand to quit on my own. I had to remove myself from the having the freedom to drink to stop. That hangover thing in the a.m. will go away. Keep it up. Death to Life--
R
Old 01-27-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering Alcoholic/Addict

Joey:

Didn't want to sound discouraging...it takes guts to take that first step...good job!

Last edited by Goodnfast; 01-27-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: substance
Old 01-27-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

day 2 going into day 3-feeling a bit edgy and a bit anxious-i get the feeling if i hadnt have lashed all of my little stashes this morning i'd have been back into it-am soooooo glad its gone now-i know its going to be a rough night but its not as if i wasnt expecting it ! just got to get through it the best i can-ive got the ultimate reason for doing it-i cant think of a better one.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hey joey , it gets easier,

i know you can do it:ghug3
Old 01-27-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Reading your posts is really inspiring, Joey. I'm on day 22, so it's not long ago at all that I was going through the first few days. For me, day 5 and day 9 were breakthroughs, so keep that in mind: just don't drink, and your world will get a lot better very soon.

And keep posting. I know it was and continues to be a great help to me. Rock on!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i've got no desire to drink anymore-dont get me wrong-i could murder one, just to take the edge off things but i know that one would lead to 2 and then to 3-and thats a loop i just don't want to get back into-i've done a lot of soulsearching in the last couple of days-and i've faced up to some things in my life that were getting in my way-the things i used to block out with a drink-the people and support i've found on here are nothing short of phenomenal-i never thought anybody else would understand me and what i'm going through-all my life it's been a case of "well that's your problem-get over it"-to find support and advice-has really helped-personally i want to get to day 7-and then day 31-thats my immediate goal-but as god's my judge i really couldnt have started this without the help i found here.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Joey, do check out the 2 weeks and under thread. I found a lot of support there in the beginning.