View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Juls

Tammie,

What you are afraid of is the fearful feelings you experience. When you leave the house nothing bad is going to happen, well barring unforseen circumstances. The sky will not fall on your head. You already know what the worst it, but even though it has happened before, doesn't mean it will happen again. When you learn how not to be afraid of the "feelings" of anxiety, then the less and less you will have anxiety attacks.

One way to learn how to fear those feelings less is to get yourself a good relaxation tape. Use it at least twice a day, more is better. But minimally in the morning and evening. If you want to get better, you have to make time to do something like this. It is so important for you to learn how to relax yourself when these feelings come up. Learning just to go with them and not fight them. They are only feelings, and the feeling in and of themselves "Cannot" hurt you. One thing is that you are "trying" too hard. I know that probably doesn't make sense, but when you feel that there is something terribly wrong with you and that you have to fight it, that can cause you to feel more anxiety. It is something of a Catch 22 in that you start to feel anxiety which causes a release of adrenaline that makes you feel more anxious. You then feel frightened by what you feel, causing more anxiety, more adrenaline being released, more fear of what you feel.

HOWEVER, your body can only do so much of this, and at that point you usually end of feeling, ehausted and depressed, with your self-esteem feeing battered.

Are you on any type of medication, not tranquilizers, but there are some anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medications that can help until you can learn coping methods. Anxiety disorders respond very well to behaivoral modification therapy. Part of it is just learning to understand what is happening to your body, and that you don't need to fear it.

If you pm me your address, I'd like to send you a copy of a couple of the tapes I've used that have helped me. The whole program isn't cheap, I think $320.00, but it is worth every penny, if you have it. I think I've mentioned before that if you don't have that much I would be able to help you with the cost. Tammi, something like this is imperative for you so you can get beyond this and get on with your life.

Juls