View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

When is the right time to take the Steps

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
Many times we hear people suggest we delay taking the step until we are "ready." We will hear things like: "first year, first step." This advice contradicts the experience of the authors. Here we see that this man took his Third Step on his third day. If we require a Power greater than ourselves to enable us to stay sober, it is best if we immediately set about establishing contact with this Power. The time to begin taking the steps is as soon as our heads clear from our last drunk. .

Too many times people think they have to understand the Steps before they take them. My experience has been understanding how they work comes as we experience the miracle of the spiritual experience. If I had waited until I could understand how the steps worked before I took them I would never have gotten or stayed sober. This is a simple program of action. Some of the best advice I was given in this program is keep it simple, don't over think it, it is not an intellectual program, and work the Steps in every aspect of my life. It is through the application of the steps in our lives that we gain an understanding of how they work. Don't wait, jump in with both feet just as we did when we drank it is only then that we can experience the miracle of a happy, joyous, and free sobriety.