Thread: Question???
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by 1963comet View Post
What is the difference between alcohol abuse and alcoholic?

This is a serious question, not trying to be funny.
This may help clarify it for you.
Alcohol Dependence Syndrome
The term "alcoholism" refers to a disease known as alcohol dependence syndrome, the most severe stage of a group of drinking problems which begins with binge drinking and alcohol abuse.
Types of Alcohol Problems
Alcohol problems occur at different levels of severity, from mild and annoying to life-threatening. Although alcohol dependence (alcoholism) is the most severe stage, less severe drinking problems can also be dangerous.
Binge Drinking
Officially, binge drinking means having five or more drinks in one session for men and four or more for women. Another definition for binge drinking is simply drinking to get drunk. It is the most common drinking problem for young people, under age 21.
• Binge Drinkers Have Highest Risk of Injury
• Heavy Drinking Dangers
• Brief Intervention Effective for Binge Drinkers
Alcohol Abuse
Binge drinking turns into alcohol abuse when someone's drinking begins to cause problems and the drinking continues anyway.
Alcohol abuse is when someone continues to drink in spite of continued social, interpersonal or legal difficulties. Alcohol abuse can result in missing time at school or work, neglecting child or household responsibilities or trouble with the law.
Alcohol Dependence
Alcohol abuse becomes alcohol dependence when drinkers begin to experience a craving for alcohol, a loss of control of their drinking, withdrawal symptoms

Alcoholism - What Is Alcoholism - What Is Alcohol Dependence - What Is Alcohol Abuse
My experience is that I quickly progressed to a binge drinker stayed there for a few years then became an alcohol abuser. At that point there was no turning back for me. I am pretty sure at the binge drinking stage I could not have stopped and started drinking like a normal person. I had no interest in trying to stop at that point. Maybe that is because I am an alcoholic, who knows. I do know where it all led was to alcohol dependence for me.