Notices

Question???

Old 01-11-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question???

What is the difference between alcohol abuse and alcoholic?

This is a serious question, not trying to be funny.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by 1963comet View Post
What is the difference between alcohol abuse and alcoholic?

This is a serious question, not trying to be funny.
This may help clarify it for you.
Alcohol Dependence Syndrome
The term "alcoholism" refers to a disease known as alcohol dependence syndrome, the most severe stage of a group of drinking problems which begins with binge drinking and alcohol abuse.
Types of Alcohol Problems
Alcohol problems occur at different levels of severity, from mild and annoying to life-threatening. Although alcohol dependence (alcoholism) is the most severe stage, less severe drinking problems can also be dangerous.
Binge Drinking
Officially, binge drinking means having five or more drinks in one session for men and four or more for women. Another definition for binge drinking is simply drinking to get drunk. It is the most common drinking problem for young people, under age 21.
• Binge Drinkers Have Highest Risk of Injury
• Heavy Drinking Dangers
• Brief Intervention Effective for Binge Drinkers
Alcohol Abuse
Binge drinking turns into alcohol abuse when someone's drinking begins to cause problems and the drinking continues anyway.
Alcohol abuse is when someone continues to drink in spite of continued social, interpersonal or legal difficulties. Alcohol abuse can result in missing time at school or work, neglecting child or household responsibilities or trouble with the law.
Alcohol Dependence
Alcohol abuse becomes alcohol dependence when drinkers begin to experience a craving for alcohol, a loss of control of their drinking, withdrawal symptoms

Alcoholism - What Is Alcoholism - What Is Alcohol Dependence - What Is Alcohol Abuse
My experience is that I quickly progressed to a binge drinker stayed there for a few years then became an alcohol abuser. At that point there was no turning back for me. I am pretty sure at the binge drinking stage I could not have stopped and started drinking like a normal person. I had no interest in trying to stop at that point. Maybe that is because I am an alcoholic, who knows. I do know where it all led was to alcohol dependence for me.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

I was wondering because my lawyer said there were 3 different types. I have done a lot of reading in the 12 step support. I can relate to some of it but not everything.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In what context is your attorney looking at alcoholism?

That may help...their are a lot of different views (some help the alcoholic more, some help the insurance industry more, some help hospitals/doctors more, some help law enforcement more)
Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

A normal drinker can go to a New Year's Eve party, or a wedding, or a bachelor/bachelorette party and have one too many -- and it's alcohol abuse. An alcoholic drinks that way every time she or he drinks. Or wants to drink that way every time she or he drinks.

The way I understand it in the normal world, the object of drinking is not necessarily to get drunk. It makes no sense to my alcoholic mind, but that's what they tell me.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I personally think someone can drink very heavily for a long time and not be alcoholic.

It really depends in what context we are defining it. I know the AA definition, but I am not sure that is what Comet's lawyer was getting at..

Those questionaires that are out there (18 or 20 questions, whatever) would make almost every person I knew in college an alcoholic at that time, but it didn't turn out to be the case....
Old 01-11-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just wanted to know myself because I was having a hard time relating to some things. I never knew there were differences until I spoke with the lawyer. And I just wanted to know what they were.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

If we simply look at the definition of: Abuse

ABUSE: use or apply improperly or to excess (this according to Webster), apply any substance or behavior and the concept of abusing something is quite clear. Alcohol consumed before operating an auto is applying it improperly, consumed in excess in any situation such that one loses control is likewise abuse. I agree with Sugah, abuse can be practiced by most anyone if the consumption and circumstance fall within the definition.

An alcoholic, in my opinion is someone like me that perfected abuse and turned it into "typical or routine behavior." In keeping with sugErspun's observations that a long term heavy drinker need not be an alcoholic, I suppose that is possible, although in my case I drank very heavily for some 25 years, but many simply excused my drinking as just that HEAVY DRINKING since I had all the stuff materially, ran my business profitably, and never had any legal issues. When was I an "official alcoholic?" I have always claimed I WAS NOT AN ALCOHOLIC UNTIL I WENT TO MY FIRST MEETING OF AA, but I most certainly had been drinking alcoholically for years.

As we like to say in AA "only you know if you are an alcoholic", however if alcohol is interfering with your life then it is my opinion that you have earned the right to walk into a meeting.

One final word on abuse, I always felt that was when one puts ice in 25 year old single malt scotch.

Just this man's opinion,

Jon
Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For me...it was 1 drink
but I never knew which one or what day.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me, when I drink it is all or nothing. I cannot just have one. It always has to be an all you can drink buffet for me. Drinking just one would be like going to a breakfast buffet starving, having one piece of bacon and not being allowed to have anymore. As far back as I can think, it has always been that way for me. I am alcoholic, so it's better off for me to avoid the buffet. That is just the way I am wired. It is likely possible for some to drink heavily for a long time and not be alcoholic, but I'm not one of those. I also have trouble relating to some of the things other alcoholics have experienced or are referring to because I have not had the same experiences that they have had, but in the grand scheme of things I see lots of similarities. I often wonder if I have a deep enough level of this disease that it will allow me to find what I need to get better, or if I have to go further to instill in me what I need to commit to getting better. I hope I am done at this point though. I believe there are so many different possible levels of this disease, and whatever level I am at whether it be mild, severe or in between, I'm greatful to have found this forum and many other tools to help me cope and learn how to enjoy my sobriety.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Almost Never

I'm very precise when I drink - I know exactly how much vodka it will take to get smashed but not pass out (for me, one fifth) and maybe get some sleep. On the RARE occasion that I am in a social situation, I stick to beer and stop at three. I've made enough... well, not enemies per se, but non-friends over the years.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I drink, thankfully I'm going on 6 days without now, I drink whatever it takes to pass out. Usually going through a 1/2 gallon of 80 proof rum in 3-4 days or a gallon in a week. I'm past doing it socially as I have too many consequences when I drink alone at home.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Almost Never

Originally Posted by redstuff View Post
...thankfully I'm going on 6 days without now
Godspeed & good luck!
Old 01-11-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank's everyone

I know I will never drink social ever. So, I do not even try anymore. I do not miss drinking at all. In 1998 I quit drinking because it was making me sick. But I smoked pot for the next 2 years. I had a breakdown I think in 2000. I did drink one drink that I was sure it had about 4 shots in it.

That day in dec after that drink I knew something had to change. I went to couseling for two years. I had issues with anixety to. It was just hard for me to explain WHY I just stopped without AA.

That is why I wanted to know the different levels.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds like you had a traumatic experience. That's why I quit mushrooms. Had several really good experiences with them. Then one day I had one really bad trip, and really believed I was going to die. Feeling of impending doom, out of control......So I quit that. Every time I smoked pot, I would have a flashback to the same feelings......So I quit that. Alcohol was the only thing left, and it had never made me feel that way. Well, like I said it was the only thing left, but now I feel that way.....So......I quit, and quit, and quit and quit..... Lots of people realize that it needs to end earlier or later than others. Consider yourself lucky for getting out before it got worse. Rock bottom is an individual experience.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Alcohol abuse in my life showed me I am an alcoholic.

Add alcohol and my life falls apart. Remove the alcohol and things improved.

If I am an alcoholic or not didn't matter. What did matter is what would happen with me when alcohol gets added to my system.
Instant stupid can happen for me with just one glass of wine or a couple of beers. All control goes out the door and alcohol wins.
Am I or have I ever been dependant upon alcohol in a physical sense? No.
Still though... when alcohol gets added, my system says...abuse it till I run out of money, run out of alcohol or get put some place where they won't allow me to have any alcohol.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank's redstuff

I was starting to feel like a FREAK of nature or something.

But yes I do feel lucky that happened to me in dec. My couseler thought it could be PTSD. Molested as a kid and loss husband to cancer. At the time I did not know what caused it. So, I was worried about taking any drug after that. It was kinda like Scared Strait
Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by 1963comet View Post
It was kinda like Scared Strait
Worked for me.

Meetings or other places of finding answers helps us stay that way.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I will speak from my own experience:

When I drink a little - I want more, nothing will come in the way of that and there is now way to tell when I will stop (last times I have ended up in the hospital). In AA we refer to this as an allergy to the substance of alcohol which produces a craving for more. Like if you were allergic to strawberries and you break out in a rash when you ate them, there is no way to use will power or knowledge to stop that rash. My 'rash' is craving - I drink more. 1 drink turns into 'x' amount of drinks (I don't know when it will stop). This is strictly a physical thing -

So my option is to leave alcohol alone.

So I go to three rehabs, learn a lot about alcoholism, its affects on the body, triggers, meetings, sponsors, the book...and I stopped drinking.

That lasted 14 months - then I drank again and I have absolutely no explanation as to why. All the knowledge of what taking that drink meant, never came to mind. What a freak I feel like. I just picked up a drink and that craving started again, it was worse.

A body that cant have it and a mind that won't stay away.

That is my definition of an alcoholic. There are many that abuse alcohol, but they can stop if something important enough comes up (threat of jail, etc).

Then I go through the AA big book with a man who has recovered from alcoholism and I see that the people who wrote that book had the exact same experiece as me

phhewww - I am glad they had an answer and live that answer day to day.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

spiritual malady

As has been mentioned previously, alcoholics experience craving and the mental obsession to keep going back to that which is causing trouble. When given a sufficient reason, the non alcoholic can stop and stay stopped, the external problems tend to straighten themselves out.

An alcoholic of my kind, does not get better when they put the drink down. In fact, I get worse, the closest I have ever come to pulling the trigger was when I was several months sober:dying of untreated alcoholism.

A spiritual malady I hear referred to often as the hole in the soul. I was never a problem drinker, I was a solution drinker, seeking ease and comfort. Restless, irritable, discontent, a prey to misery, unstable emotions, a feeling of uselessness. All manifestations of the spiritual malady.

Our basic text makes it clear, once the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically, I spent too much time putting the cart before the horse. Our founders knew from their cumulative experience exactly what they were talking about. My daily reprieve is contingent upon my spiritual condition. Steps 10-11 have taught me some disciplines to maintain this condition. My sobriety is a bi-product of this internal condition.