Thread: I'm back.
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 02:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

I don't want my kids to have a drunk for a mom. I don't want my husband to have a drunk for a wife. I don't want people to know this is out of control. But really I do.
Hon you sound like me a while back, I didn't want people to know I was out of control! Oh I was so smart, I thought I hid it so well! LOL I had to get sober before I realized that EVERY ONE and I do mean EVERY ONE knew I was out of control!!!!

The first thing I had to do was to get HONEST!!! First I had to be HONEST with myself, I am an alcoholic. I had to get HONEST and say that if I had just one drink I was powerless over what would happen after that, would I drink 5 more or 20 more?

Next I had to become WILLING, WILLING to do what ever it took for me to stop drinking and stay stopped! You see I tried for 10 years to quit my way and never could stay stopped, I had to be HONEST and admit that I needed help because my way did not work.

I was to the point of having to drink every day just to feel normal, drinking was no longer a choice, it was a physical need to function. I saw a doctor who specialized in alcoholism & addictions, he said I needed to go into detox.

Well I was willing to do what ever it took to get sober so I went into detox!

In detox they told me that if I wanted a chance to stay sober I needed to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

Well I was willing to do what ever it took to stay sober so I went to over 90 AA meetings in 90 days and got a sponsor.

The folks in AA told me if I wanted a chance to stay sober to work the steps with my sponsor.

Well I worked the steps with my sponsor and I still go to 3-4 meetings a week, I talk to and see my sponsor on a regular basis and I have a sponsee today.

What the doctor nor the detox folks told me was that not only would AA help me to stay sober, but that AA would help me to become a free man!!! Happy Joyous, & Free!!! Free of alcohol & of self.