View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 03:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Congrats on those 7 days Patsfan, you need to be prepared for the toughest part of staying sober, the mental obsession! A little voice in my head early on would say "Wow Martin, there is no way you are an alcoholic, an alcoholic could not go 7 days without a drink, why not get a 6 pack to celebrate not being an alcoholic!" sometimes that voice would say "Man you got it under control, have a couple just to prove it."

For me before I hit the point of having to drink every day just to feel normal, it was no bid deal to not drink for a week or 2, but the only thing I changed about myself was I did not drink, so of course because I had not changed anything about me (I am not talking about diet or exercise) the obsession would start to work on me, I became miserable, irratable, almost insane with the desire to drink and I always wound up drinking again.

For me the obsession to drink was not lifted until I started to work the steps of AA. Do not get me wrong, there are others ways to change yourself other then AA, but it is the one that worked for me and millions of others.