Notices

7 Days...that's an entire week!!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 Days...that's an entire week!!

I'm just happy I've made it an entire week sober, and what a week it was!! I feel like I'm back to normal, don't really feel all that much different than I did when I was drinking, but I know soon it will make a great difference. I never thought I'd make it this long, but here I am, and looking foreward to future. Boy this is great.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job!!!i'm very happy for you!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is some great news
Old 01-09-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

PatsFan, that's awesome! Congrats!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

There's an old AA joke:

A guy had 30 days of sobriety, and his sponsor said: "You need to come with to call on this guy. He's all hung over and wants to get sober. We are going to explain our program."

The old-timer and the 30-day guy went to see the hung-over guy. The sponsor talked for about 20 minutes. Anybody at all could tell the years of spiritual growth and kind wisdom in the old-timer's words.

The 30-day guy was almost moved to tears, and the hung-over guy didn't understand a word of it.

So the 30-day guy says: "I've nothing to add. All I've done is stay dry 30 days"

The hung over guy grabs him by the hand and says: "30 DAYS?!?!?! YOU GOTTA TELL ME HOW YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!"

So keep teaching us, Pats Fan.

Best,
FM

How did you do it?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you feeling positive
Old 01-09-2008, 10:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good work Patsfan!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on those 7 days Patsfan, you need to be prepared for the toughest part of staying sober, the mental obsession! A little voice in my head early on would say "Wow Martin, there is no way you are an alcoholic, an alcoholic could not go 7 days without a drink, why not get a 6 pack to celebrate not being an alcoholic!" sometimes that voice would say "Man you got it under control, have a couple just to prove it."

For me before I hit the point of having to drink every day just to feel normal, it was no bid deal to not drink for a week or 2, but the only thing I changed about myself was I did not drink, so of course because I had not changed anything about me (I am not talking about diet or exercise) the obsession would start to work on me, I became miserable, irratable, almost insane with the desire to drink and I always wound up drinking again.

For me the obsession to drink was not lifted until I started to work the steps of AA. Do not get me wrong, there are others ways to change yourself other then AA, but it is the one that worked for me and millions of others.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thats great! ive never seen so many caring people in one place, so come back and read these posts at the slightest sign of temptation..
Old 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I appreciate everyone's responses they have been great.

There has been one thing I have noticed about a lot members of this forum, and I am not saying that it is a bad thing by any means. It seems like people jump on things to I guess bring you back to reality. (i.e. someone quits and someone is right there to say quitting is enough, you need to go further, you need to do this, that, etc...) I can totally understand where a lot of you guys are coming from, some have lost bits and pieces of their lives, and others, maybe not so much. It's almost like being a recovering alcoholic, you are thrown behind the eight ball without being given the opportunity to make a change. My intention on being here may or may not be to remain sober. I don't know what the future holds for me, and I can't sit here and honestly say I won't drink again. That's not really my intention of removing alcohol from life right now. My intention was to make a change to the way I live my life, and reflect back on what it was I have done for the last 5 years or so. I'm young and fortunately for me I was able to realize that I did have a problem and needed to change something before my life got out of control. AA may work for some but doesn't work for all. Your motivator to remain sober can be whatever you choose it to be, there's no right and no wrong. For me I just don't feel a support group is going to keep me motivated to stay off of alcohol. I think looking at what I've learned and where I want to go is enough for me to realize that I have a chance to make something of myself. I have an excellent opportunity in front of me to put my talents and skills to use, or can waste them by continuing to live the way I was. That's a pretty good motivator right there. I'm still in school, I already have a B.A., and I love doing what I'm doing, and I'm certainly not going to waste everything I've been through for alcohol.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm not doing what I'm doing to be 100% sober for the rest of my life. I'm doing this cause I needed a change. 8 days sober is a big deal, more importantly it's a learning experience. I don't know how long I will stay sober, I will do what I have to until I feel I can handle alcohol responsibly. Some of you might doubt I ever will, some might support me, that's really not for me say. Like I've been told before, why would I want to go through what I went through all over again??? I don't and I will make every effort in my life to be sure that I never go through that again. I wish you all and myself the best the luck, thank you!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you well PatsFan!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

way to go Pats fan!!!

whatever about the rest of your life -
what we do here is the one day at a time thing.
there's only today.

and today - there's better things to center a life around than booze.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Lurker

Patsfan I think what you read here is a lot of people that have been down the road you are on trying to save you some pain. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, and if you are one you will inevitably see this. I guess when I was your age I would not have listened either, but as I look back it would have been the disease telling me I did not have a problem, because in my heart I knew I did. Good luck
Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Nice, PatsFan....