Thread: How Do I Know?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Labrador0620

How Do I Know?

I am not an addict. I have never done a drug in my life. My father took me to dinner tonight to tell me he thinks my wife may have a drug problem. She shows many of the signs I found on the internet:

1) Her finances are in shambles. She has at least 7 years of tax liens from the IRS and feels absolutely no obligation to pay them.

2) We have a separate property agreement because of this, so our finances are separate. My wife hasn't helped me with the bills in months. I know she made $9k on a deal this year (only because the deal involved my sister) and 60 days later I was making her car payment because she was out of money. Questions how this money could evaporate so quickly with me covering all the bills were stonewalled.

3) I work 2 jobs to keep us afloat. My wife feels absolutely no obligation to help me with the bills, even when I work 22 hour days 3 days a month.

4) Getting her to leave the house takes an act of Congress.

5) She has trouble sleeping and pops ambien like chicklets.

6) She hates my friends, and merely tolerates my family.

7) She is extremely defensive.

I could go on and on...

We have been in marriage counseling 2 of the 3 years we've been married. I have asked the counselor point blank if she thinks my wife has an addiction. She couldn't answer.

The only thing that makes me question whether or not I have a drug addiction in my house is.....I've never found any drugs.

I have turned my house upside down, but then again, having never done drugs, I'm not sure exactly where this type of thing would be hidden.

How do I know for sure? Is my wife an addict or merely a financial dullard? How can I confront her without any "hard" evidence. Do I just throw here out based on my "gut feeling"?

Any advice is appreciated. I'm at my wits end.