View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Wolfstarr

Hello stephensmom

I have been up, down, in, out, backwards, forwards, underwater, up in the air, you name it with my granddaughter.

My daughter lost custody of her almost 5 years ago this month. She also lost an unborn baby in a car crash while under the influence of xanax.

We had custody for quite some time, and it seemed our daughter was getting her act together. She jumped through all the hoops that the department of children and families had her go through and was deemed fit and our granddaughter was returned to her.

Just this past summer she had a relapse, her DOC is cocaine, but loves Xanax...lots of it.
I came home from work and found my granddaughter (she was 7 at the time) standing alone in the livingroom. I asked where her mom was and my granddaughter said "She fell asleep in her food again, gramma."
I about flipped out. Yes, there she was, passed out in her partially cooked food. She tried to make a meatloaf and it was half cooked. I thought she might have been dead as there was no movement so I felt her carotid. She was fine.
I immediately called Department of Children and Families.
Long story short, We have custody again. It was NOT a safe environment for my granddaugher and I will never doubt my gut again, but I had to learn the hard way.

My daughter is now in a halfway house and has been clean for 6 months. Getting her there is another story...and heartbreaking at best.

Do what you feel in your heart and gut. Don't doubt your feelings...I can only tell you what I did and I am so glad I finally stood up to her demons...

My very best to you, from one grandmum to another....