Old 01-06-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
So Tired

Been there, done that

I too took my marriage vows seriously - after all, it was my second time around. I love my husband very much. You don't want to be labeled a Codie, but you are. There are other pop terms I can think of, too. Enabler, Martyr, Rescuer, Victim. After awhile, it all becomes a drama. Your man will eventually consume you, will feed off of your strength, compassion and the love you have for him, and worse, may well consume all your assets, too. Think about it. You may just end up sucked totally dry and devoid of everything you've worked so hard for. Please take notes of the lawsuits you would probably face if he gets in an auto accident that takes a life or lives. You may well lose your home, your retirement, and any dreams of riding off into the sunset with this madman will come crashing down on your head. If he should survive such an incident, he'll be serving time and you'll be left to clean up his financial messes, which may take the rest of your life.

I'm getting my ducks all lined up in a row. I'll be 65 next month, have a great paying job in the legal field, and am in the process of having our wills drawn up. I will collect full social security in another year, which will definitely give me the power to leave this man and live quite comfortably while working. I have documented all my efforts to report my husband, including calls to the police (who were no help at all), reporting him to the DMV, and calling his shrink. I also have saved the call on my cell phone from a friend of his (also a cop) who called to tell me he was driving my husband home after finding him wandering the streets in a daze. If Mr. Wonderful ever kills anyone under the influence, at least I have documented proof that I made every effort to get the maniac off the streets.

Please do not take this wrong. I'm on your side. "Standing by Your Man" may not be your wisest choice. I just hate the thought of anyone paying the consequences of a drunk who doesn't mind running up the tab that someone who loves them will end up paying. As for me, I'm getting things lined up for the home run.