Old 12-31-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
jimhere

Sponsorship within the group

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
As an ad-lib part of chairing, we have begun adding, "If you don't know what a sponsor is, we'll be glad to tell you and explain how to get one," and we always offer phone numbers to the newcomer.

Too often, I hear a lot of things left for the newcomer to puzzle out. I'm guilty of sharing on a step without pointing out how it eliminates my need to drink. A newcomer is there to stop drinking. Sharing without making reference to the drink problem, I think, leaves the newcomer wondering how, exactly, that experience applies to them.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
In my home group, we do it maybe a little different.

At the end of the meeting, the secretary asks if there is any one who would like a sponsor from our group and if there is would they please raise their hand. If some one does, the secretary tells them that a group member will approach after the closing prayer.

The result is a strong group. Not everyone joins the group, but those who do are sponsored into the group, much like the early Cleveland days.

The only real difference is that we don't make them go upstairs and surrender before they can join the group. LOL!
Jim