Old 12-31-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sugErspun

I changed groups after I went out again earlier this year (tomorrow I get the pleasure of saying "after I went out again last year")

anyhow - I used to hear the don't drink, go to meetings etc etc etc.

They always said 'get a sponsor' - and never really said how to go about it. I had sponsors from those first groups I went to (7 years) and they always had photo copied worksheets for each step, dragged me to meetings..I know their intentions were the best. But for the most part, if you approached someone at those groups (I am thinking of a specific Alano club), they would say they have their limit, don't have time, etc etc - without even pointing you to someone who was available to sponsor.

The group I now attend 'feels' like a home group, I refer to it as such. Never once has anyone said "just don't drink no matter what" - they know the alcoholic a little better than that. When newcomers show up to the open meeting, they will be called on to at least share their name and why they are there. It is almost gauranteed that after the meeting people will approach the newcomer, ask a little more about them and then set up a time to sit down and talk about their drinking, experience with alcohol, one on one. If they be alcoholic, chances are they will start reading the book together, therefor working the steps. It is truly a gift to have this group to go to (it's a bit of a drive, but the trade-off is worth it)

Going to meetings is really good advice.
Getting a sponsor is good advice(make sure they aren't taking sponsee's just to fit a requirment of the program and that they really know what they are talking about)
Not drinking, well - if I could stay sober by deciding not to drink, I wouldn't be here.
Get a home group? - That is really more like - build fellowship of people you are accountable to. Home group has really lost it's meaning in a lot of sense.