Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Treasure2Find

I left my first rehab at 18 years old armed with the facts. I asked my counselor what I needed to do and she was very specific. She said get a sponsor and join a group. Now like I said I was armed with the facts. I asked what a sponsor was and what his purpose was. She told me he would take me through the steps of recovery. I asked what the steps of recovery were. She said they were a spiritual tool kit and working them in my everyday life was like putting an engine in your broken down car. (She knew my car was in the back of my house with no engine). She was tricky

I understood but what about the home group? Getting to know people and getting active in a home group will help give get you contacts and get you talking. The more sober people in my life the better, well in some cases.

This all made very much sense to me so I tossed my pillow case of cloths over my shoulder and headed for the door. On my way out someone I was hanging around with gave me a great big hug and said don’t drink and go to mtgs. Well my counselor didn’t say that? Don’t drink and go to mtgs sounded a whole lot easier than get a sponsor and join a group?

So that’s what I did I went to AA and I didn’t drink. Needless to say I stayed drunk for the next 12 years. Once I got a sponsor put the steps of recovery in my life and got a home group I stayed sober.