View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 05:00 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
CBrown

The single life? It definitely has plusses and minuses. I do what I want, when I want and making decisions (good or bad!) leaves me with a feeling of accomplishment. I've been single again since 1996 (except this past year with R) so do I NEED a man? Heavens, no. Do I enjoy the company of men? Sure! Would I remarry? Absolutely, in a good, healthy, loving, monogamous relationship. Can I walk away from a bad one? Yup!

My friends accept that I am the "single one" and I don't give it much thought. I dine out at night most every night and I'm that single woman over at the hightop or in the booth. I remember a cousin saying to me early after I divorced ... "You go out to dinner by yourself?! Oh I could never do that!" I said "Hey, either I eat out by myself, or I wouldn't eat out!" For a few years I did things with my daughter, but still found myself going solo when she was at her dad's. Now she's grown and running with her friends, so I go solo!

I have taken a 4 day vacation to Florida solo, I drive my horse to shows solo, and I haul my big travel trailer to them too. Usually I meet up with other couples, but ultimately it's just me staying in the trailer. Increasingly, though, the teens are saying "hey Brownie, can I say with you?!" But I have to tell you, I sure do enjoy solitude also!

Sometimes it's awkward ... I'm not a predatory female but married wives look at me funny if I joke with their husbands. I definitely don't touch them or talk inappropriately so if they have something going on with themselves, that's their issue, not mine. Married men just do zero for me. I also hesitate going to the movies, as it's something I prefer to do with someone else, but for a great flick I'd go anyway.

So save that little corner booth for me, and the daily newspaper! I'll be that chick eavesdropping on the other conversations quite happily. Some day you might see a man with me, and if you do, you'll know he's something special.