View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
kelsh

Thumbs up Methadone...

Hi Dad,

I don't know much about Methadone other than my son takes it for pain management with Oxycodone (very small dose) . He is a quadraplegic and gets significant muscle spasms all over his body and severe pain on each side of his neck where they put steel rods to hold his head up. He is paralyzed from his underarms down and has limited use of his arms & hands.

He wasn't into drugs heavy...mostly alcohol to where he needed it from the time he got up in the mornings...lost four jobs in a row for drinking on the job. He is 38 years old and did go for help but couldn't get it together so tried a suicide attempt that failed, in 2002.

He had been in the Navy four years & was released just before his ship was to head out for Desert Storm.

He lives in his own place and has caregivers. They work directly with the VA Hospital in Seattle. He spends part of every year in the VA Hospital for a yearly physical and medical and/or surgery if needed. He has had problems with break-downs on his bottom so now can't have any more surgeries there.

He is on a rigid schedule now to be able to be home...has to be put down in bed in the afternoon for a few hours to rest the backside. He does get good care, all of his medications and medical supplies from the VA.

Hope it goes well with your son...it is such heartache to see them go through these difficult times and to see how fast the drugs and alcohol can destroy their life.

I am an alcoholic in recovery for 19 years now. I also need help for my depression I have had off and on since teen years...am retired and so is my husband.

Take Care...keep coming back for all the support you need through these very difficult times. :praying

kelsh