Sons in detox...cautiously optomistic

Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sons in detox...cautiously optomistic

My AS called me last week wanting help. He was trying to wean himself of methadone and realized he couldn't do it alone. I know that methadone is a controversial drug, but that stuff is harder to kick than heroin.

He'll be out this Friday (one week that I paid for - he has no insurance). And through Naranon another parent informed me of a program in my county that will PAY for a 28 day rehab if he qualifies..I'm pushing all the buttons I can.

So...keeping my fingers crossed. Best wishes to all for a happy and healthy New Year!
Old 12-27-2007, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good luck, HD. I hope things unfold as they are meant to. I don't have any experience with methadone or the rehabs, but I know there are plenty of other parents here who do. I imagine they will be along shortly.

In the meantime, pull up a chair, have some coffee, and browse around the boards. You'll find some good stuff!

Hugs
Cats
Old 12-27-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

that's great news, dad! Though we all know treatment in and of itself is no guarantee of recovery - it's a very powerful first step! Praying for him.... :praying
Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

(((Hurting Dad))))
My daughter is on methadone as well. I know that crap is as hard to kick as any drug. She calls it liquid handcuffs, but I will be happy if she is on it the rest of her life. Would I rather her be drug free? You bet!!! But I will take methadone over the alternative. She is back in my and her son's life. Looking to get a job....And most of all, no longer injecting poison into her veins.
We are making slow progress to recovery....I've done a lot of research on addiction, and opiod addicts need the methadone to help with their brain chemistry. Otherwise they couldn't do recovery. Are there exceptions...of course. But all and all, methadone has been a life saver for my daughter.
Just my 2 cents....
Not saying don't help your son...just giving my opinion on methadone....but best wishes to you and yours.....
Prayers going out for all our addicts!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Hurting dad)))

Thanks for letting us know what's going on. I don't know much about methadone, other than what I've read here.

I hope he's ready to be clean...this is a first step.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-27-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I see that yoy're from jersey, check into gaudenzia.org, it's a state funded facility. They even have halfway housing for after program.
I don't mean to be a busy buddy into you or your son's recovery but if he's not working and with no insurance I thought I'd share the little I know.

good luck and prayers to you both
Old 12-27-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So glad he is reaching out for help! What a step!
prayers,
susan
Old 12-27-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So great! Even happier to hear that you're hanging in there with Naranon. kudos.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

dad,
That is good news. You keep pushing for all it's worth, if you think he is truly ready.

Hugs, and happy new year!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Prayers that this is his time. Hugs, Marle
Old 12-27-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Methadone...

Hi Dad,

I don't know much about Methadone other than my son takes it for pain management with Oxycodone (very small dose) . He is a quadraplegic and gets significant muscle spasms all over his body and severe pain on each side of his neck where they put steel rods to hold his head up. He is paralyzed from his underarms down and has limited use of his arms & hands.

He wasn't into drugs heavy...mostly alcohol to where he needed it from the time he got up in the mornings...lost four jobs in a row for drinking on the job. He is 38 years old and did go for help but couldn't get it together so tried a suicide attempt that failed, in 2002.

He had been in the Navy four years & was released just before his ship was to head out for Desert Storm.

He lives in his own place and has caregivers. They work directly with the VA Hospital in Seattle. He spends part of every year in the VA Hospital for a yearly physical and medical and/or surgery if needed. He has had problems with break-downs on his bottom so now can't have any more surgeries there.

He is on a rigid schedule now to be able to be home...has to be put down in bed in the afternoon for a few hours to rest the backside. He does get good care, all of his medications and medical supplies from the VA.

Hope it goes well with your son...it is such heartache to see them go through these difficult times and to see how fast the drugs and alcohol can destroy their life.

I am an alcoholic in recovery for 19 years now. I also need help for my depression I have had off and on since teen years...am retired and so is my husband.

Take Care...keep coming back for all the support you need through these very difficult times. :praying

kelsh
Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
I like that you are cautiously optomistic it's a fine balance there between understanding that relapse does happen and sometimes recovery happens also.

There is a saying that goes something like this "Nothing like a little recovery to ruin a good addiction"

There was a period of time that my son was on methadone, I'm not a fan of methadone.

I am also from Jersey, there are free programs in Jersey and excellent Oxford houses.

My son is almost three years clean, his sponsor is close to ten years clean, his sponsor is 17 years clean...recovery does happen every day.

My son is now a sponsor to others with much less clean time, perhaps one day your son and mine will cross paths, I hope so for that will be a good thing (now) and we'll never know - and that's how it should be.

Wishing the best for you and yours.
sigh
Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm glad your son reached out for help and hope he remains open and willing to follow a better path.

I have my fingers crossed with you (((HD)))

hugs & prayers ~

deedee
Old 12-28-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wonderful that he is seeking help and you are too!! Prayers that it is his time.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

he is admitting he has a problem & that is the first step. i do know there is alot of free programs out there. i hope he gets the help. don't forget to take care of yourself. you are a good dad, be proud of yourself.prayers for u both.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As always, I'm overwhelmed by the love. The Good news now is that the county will pay for a 28 day rehab stay which is a true blessing. He'll be doing through a 4 day rapid detox of suboxone, which won't kill, but will be painful. My son says he'll go through anything for help.

Monday I drive him from the detox to the rehab, only about 1 1/2 hours away, not to bad and I can visit and participate in family meetings if deemed OK. Still keeping my fingers crossed, as we know it's one step at a time.

If it's OK with everyone I'd like to print out this thread and show it to my son.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

How fantastic that your son is choosing to live with his addiction rather than die from it.
All indications are that he is ready to do the work. Stopping the drugs is only the beginning. REcovery is the work you do after that.
This could really be his time to get clean. I will have you both in my prayers today.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I can't tell you how happy I am for you and your son. And you sound great!! (I wonder how we can tell when someone sounds great just reading) oh well you do sound great.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Prayers for you and your son, Dad. I know how hard it is to be a parent watching all this. But your HP has a plan and has your son right where he needs to be today.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 12-30-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Addication to anything is hard. The constant worry and hope that this will get them on a straight path. I pray it all work out. Stay strong!