View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 02:00 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
daddyslittlegir

Thanks for the posts ccirider and everyone else, I've got some rebuttal although I am grateful you guys took the time to express concern.

First of all I'd just like to say one thing, while alcoholism is a terrible disease, that 99% of people reading this post are touched with, it is my father who has a drinking problem, NOT ME. I'm not codependant either, My therapist, psychologist who has treated me for over 4 years agrees that I'm not codependant, my mum, perhaps is a different story.

Im his daughter but we r strangers living in the same house, I don't take care of him, and he isnt close to me. What I got out of your post is knowing that I'm ok and certainly not codependant, which is nice to know.

I'm predisposed to a lot of things, I've abused alcohol in the past before I was medicated for depression and anxiety, other things too and i know I've done it, but I know that unlike a lot of people I now know how to drink responsibly and safely. I also drink for very different reasons when I do rarely drink. For example over christmas, as in the entire week. I've had two maybe three drinks. All of which were for christmas parties.

Drinking is a huge part of our culture, some people choose to drink, others don't. A lot of people on here probably don't drink because of what they have been through or witnessed. But thats just plain unfair, I'm not letting my alcoholic father dictate my life f*** that. I'm 18, in Australia it is legal for me to drink, and i love a glass of french champange, maybe two or three you know once a month or whenever an occasion comes about. I'm not a partier, I don't drink at home unless its a gin and tonic every few months, I havent been clubbing or to a bar in months! I never get a chance to go out and drink.

Furthermore, I think a lot of people on here see being drunk as vomitting, blacking out, passing out or becoming belligerent. I'm drunk when I've had a few, I get giggly, I say things I'm normally to shy to say or I get the guts to kiss someone I've been crushing on. I have fun with my friends! Safely! and i can go without alcohol, but sometimes when I go out i choose not to, I can have fun sometimes, hell I'm young why shouldnt I!

I'm not letting the fear of alcoholism or other people's dependency on the substance stop me from enjoying a normal life. Not every person who drinks is an alcoholic, and just because of how it is used does not make alcohol an evil substance. I hope people living with alcoholics (without a dependency themselves!) will not deprive themselves of a relaxing gin and tonic or a beautiful glass of french bubbly every once in a blue moon because alcohol has been labelled evil.

[B]People Can Drink in a healthy Manner!

I'm aware of my predisposition, and your concerns are probably justified and warranted, If my patterns change then I will know it's not ok anymore but I know i'm honest with myself and honest with my psychologist, I'll tell her straight up if i'm abusing something. And I'll tell you all straight up, I'm ok, but your concern is very touching, the xanax may become a problem, but when it does, I'll do something about it, just like I did with the codeine, cos i'm never gonna rely on anything but myself to make me feel good in life. I'm not feeling sorry for myself, my situation sucks sometimes, I've been through sh**, but it's made me stronger, wiser and grateful. There is always someone worse off and I know I am very lucky and blessed in many ways, I have many priveledges others don't and I'm thankful...

Emma